Kim, Dawn and Mason

A place for me to share the next phase of our lives; being mommies to Mason!

Friday, February 18, 2011

Being an Only Child

Today while I was at my MD's office, the head OB nurse asked me if I was planning to have another baby any time in the near future. I quickly told her that while I would love to have another baby, I would have to do it by myself because Dawn wasn't at all interested in another child. Dawn feels that we are too old to have another and that it wouldn't be fair to the child for us to be "older" parents. We are 40 and 42 so I don't feel like we are too old but I get what she is saying to a degree. So as we continued our conversation, I told her that Mason would have to be an only child and that we would just have to spoil him rotten. She said she had several children and couldn't imagine having only one child. I told her that I had always wanted several children but life didn't deal me the right cards for that to happen. Our road to being parents took us a lot longer than I anticipated so while I would love to have another baby, it just wasn't going to happen! While this makes a little sad, I am very thankful that we were blessed with the most adorable little boy in the world. He is healthy, happy and just down right amazing!

Throughout the day, I have been thinking about him being an only child. I don't know what that is like since I grew up with 3 siblings. Are children that grow up without siblings any different than those that have siblings? Is it fair to him that he won't have a brother to pal around with or a little sister to protect? Both Dawn and I grew up with siblings so neither of us will be able to relate. What are your thoughts?

Until next time......

1 comment:

Becca said...

We've been having a similar discussion recently. While we both want lots of kids (I have 2, he has 3), the older we get while remaining childless is making that seem like less of a possibility. The latest discussion has been to adopt a sibling group (well, 2 max) from foster care. However, that brings out a whole lot of other issues..

There's certainly times I wish I'd been an only child, wished I had a sister, etc. So I can't speak as to what it was like. My best friend is an only and she was spoiled rotten and still was up until she had kids then it transferred to them. Ha!

Good luck with your sibling conversations! <3