Kim, Dawn and Mason

A place for me to share the next phase of our lives; being mommies to Mason!

Friday, October 8, 2010

Missing Maggie


It is hard to believe that my darling doggie Maggie has been gone for two years. Thinking back to October 8, 2008 brings me to tears. Having to take her to the vet that day knowing that it was the last day that I would ever physically hold her broke my heart. We had been to the vet every day for 4 straight weeks for her to get fluids since she was in renal failure but this day was different. They tried everything to make her better but nothing seemed to be working. Her body was tired and she was just too weak to keep fighting. On that day, she "told" us she was ready to go. While it was the most difficult decision that I had made in a long time, I knew it was the right decision. I loved her too much to continue to watch her suffer. If there was any comfort in any of it, it was that I knew she had lived an incredible life and we were truly blessed to have her for nearly 18 years!

A couple weeks after Maggie had passed away, a good friend of mine gave me a quote that I still have posted in my office today. That quote is "When God takes something from your grasp, He is not punishing you, but merely opening your hands to receive something better". At the time, I couldn't think of anything better than my Maggie. What I didn't know at the time but truly believe it now, is God was truly opening our hands to receive something better. Almost one month from the date of her death, we found out that I was pregnant! WOW. It was at that moment that the quote made sense! Now don't get me wrong, I would have loved for Maggie to be a part of Mason's life and him hers but God had different plans for us!

One day, we will get another dog and one day that dog will be special to us, but we will always have a special place in our hearts for Maggie. She was the best dog in the world. I miss you Maggie and will see you again one day at the rainbow bridge.

THE RAINBOW BRIDGE POEM

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

2 comments:

Vanessa said...

Very nice tribute to Maggie; Made me cry. You're lucky to have had her for 18 years. Dogs are so special and become a member of your family. Love the poem!

Kim said...

Thanks Vanessa. Sorry it made you cry. Yes we were very lucky to have had her with us for so long. Hug your dog for me. Take care!