Kim, Dawn and Mason

A place for me to share the next phase of our lives; being mommies to Mason!

Sunday, November 7, 2010

Greener Pastures

After reading a similiar post from a friend of mine, I decided to steal borrow his title and write my own post about the potential of greener pastures. I have been with the YMCA for almost 15 years and have changed positions 4 times during my tenure with them. I have continued to move up the ladder and have been well taken care of during my time at the CHCYMCA. I have an incredible staff that works extremely hard and will do anything for me at any time. My family is accepted and 99% of the time is allowed to come first regardless of what the case may be. While all of that sounds wonderful, it has been a tough place to be over the past 6 months. There have been conversations of a potential merger in the near future. A merger with an organization that is much, much bigger than ours, that is not very accepting of non-traditional familes and is very evangelical. Our CEO has also been under major scrutiny which has added another level of stress to the work environment. Basically our Y has just been turned upside down over the past several months. With that said, I cannot help but wonder if there are greener pastures ahead. If things would truly be any better than what I have had with my time at the CHCYMCA.

I was recently contacted by a Vice President from another YMCA association asking me to consider applying for their Executive Director positon. He said he had heard lots of great things about me and my leadership and said he wanted me to consider applying for the position. I must admit the position sounds like a great opportunity; however, I have struggled all week whether I should apply or not. I have revised my cover letter and resume, completed a 9 page talent profile for the position and have done my homework on the organization yet I am having a terrible time hitting send on the email. This whole process has caused me to look a lot deeper at myself than I have done in a long time. I have one more day to make my decision. One more night to lose sleep thinking about if this is the right thing to do. Decisions, decisions.

Until next time......

Kim

1 comment:

Becca Fletcher said...

Oh wow.. I had no idea that the merger was actually moving forward. Will everyone be able to keep their jobs?? I personally think you would be an AMAZING Executive Director, but fully understand that it's a difficult situation to be placed in.

Best wishes in making this difficult decision. How far away would y'all have to move and would Dawn be able to find a job there (if it's too far?)

xo