Kim, Dawn and Mason

A place for me to share the next phase of our lives; being mommies to Mason!

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Angry About a Note in My Mailbox!

Today when I got home from work, I checked the mail as I do almost every day when I get home. In it was the usual bills, junk mail from credit card companies wanting me to enjoy now and pay later, and an envelope from one of my next door neighbors. I opened it and inside there was a handwritten note and a brochure for the Exodus Freedom Conference. The note said the following:

Hi to you, Kim and Dawn, In connection to hearing a woodpecker somewhere to the back of our properties and trying to actually see it, I got an idea to give this brochure to you. We've been on Exodus supporters list for a number of years because we care about their experiences and heart for God now. We have never been able to go to this retreat but it's been appealing and maybe (hopefully with enough time to think on it and plan) the pieces would fall together for y'all. We care about you both and Mason in hopefully the most eternal ways. People have shared love and truth with ----- and I and that is how God has bridged our separation from him. Love, ------

I read the brochure that was included with the note and in it was a section on who should attend. That included the following...men and women who personally struggle with same-sex attractions, parents and other family members impacted by homosexuality, etc. WHAT? REALLY!

After reading it, I passed it to Dawn and asked her her thoughts on it. She read it and said OMG. I then asked if she thought we should respond and she said, no! I put the letter down on the table and went on about my nightly routine of playing with Mason until dinner was ready. Later in the evening while I was catching up on emails and my blog reading, I saw the note and I read it again. Not sure what I expected to change in the 2 hours that it sat on m table but I did. This time it thoroughly ticked me off and now I am wide awake from anger. How dare them? I told myself to wait until morning before writing a response and before storming over to their mailbox with m reply! I hope I will be able to find the words that will send a clear but "neighborly" message that I LOVE my family just the way we are and while there may be some struggles in our home at times (as with all families), we love each other very much and are proud of who we are and the lifestyle that we live.

So what are your thoughts on unwanted notes with unwanted invites in your mailbox?

4 comments:

Vanessa said...

Oh my! You’re A LOT calmer than I would have been. Don’t give your neighbor a second thought. Your family is beautiful. If others weren’t so narrow minded they’d realize that, at the end of the day, love is love regardless if it’s shared between two women (or men). It’s evident from your blog that you love Mason more than life itself. While you don’t talk about your relationship with Dawn much, when you do your words are tender and emotional. Any person would be lucky to have a sliver of what you have with Dawn and sweet Mason.

Kim said...

Thanks Vanessa. I have still not decided on how to respond but have many thoughts going through my head. I want to set her straight but want to do it a respectful manner! I do love Mason and Dawn with all my heart and am blessed to be so happy.

Becca said...

Wow. Just.. wow. Some people are so stupid! I would have a hard time not responding to them in some way. If they care about you, Dawn and Mason so much and know anything about y'all, what makes them think you are unhappy with your life? By that, I mean, why on earth would you want someone trying to force you to change into something you aren't? I just don't get it. I'm so sorry that you have to deal with stuff like this.

Also, I wonder if they know that it's a finable infraction to put anything in your mailbox. ;)

Kim said...

Becca, you know how I don't mind voicing my opinion but for some reason I just can't find the words to write a response to my neighbor. I attempted three different notes today and while they started out very positive, they didn't end in the neighborly fashion that I intended. I ask myself why I care so much about hurting her feelings cause doesn't seem to matter that she hurt mine! Hmmmmm!!!