Kim, Dawn and Mason

A place for me to share the next phase of our lives; being mommies to Mason!

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Mommy and Momma or Her!

When Mason was first born, we weren't sure what he would call each of us. I wanted to be Mommy and we started out thinking we wanted Dawn to be called MiMi. Many of our friends told us that we could "pick" what we wanted him to call us but he would most likely start calling us what he wanted and sure enough that is what happened. We both were momma. It was so cute. He would point to me and say "momma" and then point to Dawn and say "momma". This went on for a couple months and then all of a sudden a few weeks ago he sarted saying mommy when he was referring to me! I loved it. Of course, I loved it too when he called me momma :-) but being mommy was what I have always wanted to be. So we thought hey maybe he is going to sure enough call me mommy and call Dawn momma.

Last week, he started something new. When I would be holding him and ask him who I was, he would say mommy and then I would point to Dawn and say well who is she. He would say, "her". It was too funny. When I am not at home, he will call her momma and refer to me as her. Very interesting how he is putting it all together.

I must say that I am glad that MiMi didn't workout. Too many grandmothers are referred to as MiMi so things always have a way of working themselves out. He knew all along that he wanted us to be mommy and momma!

So for you same-sex families out there, what does your children call you?

Until next time......

No comments: