Kim, Dawn and Mason

A place for me to share the next phase of our lives; being mommies to Mason!

Friday, March 11, 2011

Really? Not My Child!


Mommy's Lil Devilish Guy
I mentioned in an earier post that we have been seeing some typical toddler behaviors from Mason lately so I was not surprised to learn he has been exhibiting similiar behaviors at daycare. Some of those behaviors include temper tantrums, hitting, not wanting to share and running away from you when he knows he has something you don't want him to have! Well when Dawn picked him up from daycare yesterday, she found out that he has now added kicking to his list of things we would prefer that he not do. To make it worse, the report that she was given was he kicked one of his teachers! Ouch. Now, I know that he is going to do things to get in trouble as ALL kids do but I was not quite ready for reports from daycare that my child is misbehaving and had to sit in time out several times throughout the day.

We are going to use time out with him at home as a place for him to go to settle down and think about what he has done. So far we have used the last step at the bottom of our stairs as his time out spot. We have only put him there a couple of times but when you mention the words "time out" he automatically goes there. You would think we have put him there tons of times or you can think like me and just admit that he is pretty darn smart for 19 months. I must say that Dawn is the "mean" momma and well I have not been such a "mean" momma. Every family has one parent that is the "mean" one, right? I know that I will eventually need to be firmer with him but...I can hear my mom saying now, don't let him get the upper hand on you. I know, I know. I'll get there. For now, I plan to use re-direction as much as possible.

Today was a much better day for him at daycare. No tantrums, no hitting and most importantly he didn't kick his teacher!

Until next time......

No comments: